New Zealand – Plan and Wishlist

New Zealand – Plan and Wishlist

With less than a week to go until I LEAVE AUSTRALIA and head to NEW ZEALAND I wanted to share with you my wish list for the next three weeks and what the exact plan it…

Before I go somewhere new I always make a list of the cities, towns, tourist attractions and middle of nowhere places I want to visit. I might have read up about the place before I go or it might be somewhere I have just seen a silly photo of and really want to go take my own photo like it. This is just a personal list and something I like to do.

Here it is for New Zealand:

1. Go White Water Rafting
  2. Go jet boating
  3. Visit a Maori village

North Island

1. Auckland
  2. Cathedral Cove
  3. Hot Water Beach
  4. Waitomo Caves
  5. Raglan
  6. Rotorua
  7. Taupo
  8. Hike the Famous Tongariro Crossing
  9. Wellington
  10. Rangitukia/Tatapouri – First sunrise in the world!

South Island

1. Take a Picture at Milford Sound
  2. Christchurch
  3. Able Tasman National Park
  4. Queenstown – Snowboard/ski
  5. Franz Josef – Glacier Hike
  6. Kaikoura – Swim with dolphins
  7. Lake Mahinapua

The Plan looks a little like this:

nz map

On the 24th July we Land in Auckland and will be jumping on the Zephyr Kiwi Experience bus. Our main stops are:

1. Auckland
  13. Lake Mahinapua
  14. Franz Josef
  15. Wanaka
  16. Queenstown
  17. Mildford Sound
  18. Christchurch

I have the option of spending more than one night in each place but considering how the whole trip will take 18 days and I only have 21 I need to use my extra nights with care. The trip automatically includes extra nights in Taupo, Franz Josef and Queenstown and the beauty of the kiwi bus is I can decide on my way round which places I want to stay for longer in. I cannot wait to get back on the road, start making friends and seeing a new place every day.

By the time we get to Christchurch it will be August 13th and the following morning we board a flight to Bangkok. Finally I’ll be going to Asia.

6 Comments

1. 22nd July 2013 / 7:35 pm

Looks like you’re taking pretty much the same route I took, you’ll have a blast!

Although a hard slog, the Tongariro Crossing is incredible and worth trekking … another one for your list maybe?

• 24th July 2013 / 3:10 pm

I’m so excited to finally get exploring NZ! Yeah I have Tongariro Crossing in mind – just depends on the weather being mid winter and everything.

2. 22nd July 2013 / 10:11 pm

Looks like you’re gonna be pretty busy Jodie! Enjoy and hope you cram it all in 🙂

• 24th July 2013 / 2:59 pm

Yeah I know, going to be a very busy few weeks but should be epic!

3. Kelly price
    6th March 2015 / 5:22 am

Hello! I start the kiwi experience next week (very excited!!)

I’m just wondering if you had to know how long you would spend in each place before you went? I’m a solo backpacker and would like to meet friends on the trip and then maybe travel with them during my trip! So I’m reluctant to book everything straight away and then end up getting on with someone very well but then move around the country at different speeds! Something I did in Australia and regretted after meeting some amazing people!

I have 4 weeks to do nz and you’re getting me so so excited about it! Thanks 🙂

• Jodie Louise
      Author
      9th March 2015 / 9:08 am

Hi Kelly.
      You will have an amazing time – enjoy!
      We did know where we would stop and spend time beforehand however this was because we only had a tight time frame to complete the bus route. It is totally okay not to know though, many of those on your bus will have their plans open and free too. I suggest booking the first few buses and going from there. If all else fails, I’m sure there will be chance to catch up with them later down the road 🙂